Wednesday 24 May 2017

Ruby Red III

Hello, everyone!

Here is my review of Ruby Red III!

I was fifteen the first time I read Kerstin Gier's Ruby Red trilogy. I remember that I was amused and fascinated by these books about time travellers. When the first film came out, I was surprised and disappointed at the same time. It was 2013. The year of Warm Bodies, Beautiful Creatures, Divergent, Catching Fire and so on. I was disappointed because the film had nothing to do with the book I loved as a teenager. But I was surprised because it was different from the other young adults. A German production that went worldwide. I waited for the second film. A total waste. I didn't expect much from this third adventure. But at the end, I enjoyed it very much.


Gwendolyn and Gideon, two time-travellers, fight to save the world and their love. As you can imagine, the plot does not stand out for its originality. Still, it had a couple of twists that I enjoyed. I loved the way the main female characters learn to fight going back in time and the development of her relationship with her cousin Charlotte, her enemy since the first film.


The main problem of the film is that it is very cheap. Special effects and costumes could have been improved. But I couldn't complain after I have seen Fallen. At least, this was a film released on demand. It was not made for a cinema screen. And it's for this reason that I loved it so much. It's a film for a TV screen, with no many ambitions but well structured.


The film portrays the world of this time-travellers very well. In one of the first scenes, the meeting between Gwendolyn and Shakespeare is hilarious! I also enjoyed the bantering between the two lovers. Of course, the time travels were the best thing of the whole film. The final party in the 20s was  such a smart choice to end this trilogy.

Overall, the film is not the best in the world. But it remains an interesting attempt from the German production studios to create what the Americans are used to do.


No comments:

Post a Comment