Monday 5 June 2017

Dirty Dancing (2017)- Review

Hello, everyone! Here is my review!


I shouldn't have seen this film. Still, I did it. I was curious, especially after I read so many negative opinions about it. I was sure it was not a great film. But I did not though it could be so bad.


I do not like the idea of remakes. I think that a remake can work only if the original film is a complete failure. Why should we watch a remake of a five-stars film? Recently, I have read an essay by Leitch: "Twice-Told Tales", about the rhetorics and types of remakes. According to the writer, there are four main types of categories: homage, update, re-adaptation and true-remake. I reflected on his generalisation and I believe that the most successful remakes are homages and true remakes. I loved LA LA LAND even if it is based on the tradition of American and French musicals. On the other hand, I could not love Dirty Dancing because the production intentions are not clear. It is not an homage. It is not an update. It is not a re-adaptation. It is not a true remake. 


The film is not an homage to the cult film of the late '80s because it imitates its scenes. It's all a big imitation. There is nothing new. Nothing that was inspired by the original film. I did not appreciate the choice of using the same lines all the time! Of course, the film wanted to blink an eye to the fan, but it was an exaggeration. I was really annoyed by this choice, also because the acting is not credible at all. 

Abigail Breslin and Colt Prattes have not chemistry at all. He seems his father and the love scenes between them (and also the dancing scenes) are disturbing. The only character that I enjoyed is Baby's sister played by Sara Hyland. The film develops her storyline but there is not update. The film is longer but it does not explore themes that are relevant in today's society: abort, gender gap, sexuality etc... 


Moreover, I do not appreciate the choice of making this cult film a musical. The songs are not memorable and the singing of "Time of my life" is almost embarassing. The singing gives rythm to the film but they do not involve the audience in the story. 



Finally, I found the ending scene useless and granted. It seems that the films wants to give the audience a non-credible message with an actress like Abigail Breslin that is 21 years old but appears to be a fifteen girl pretending to be a woman in her thirties. Such a waste of time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment