Friday 16 June 2017

Review- Alice through the looking glass

Hello, everyone!

Here is my new review! Check it out!



I had the opportunity to re-watch Alice through the looking glass last week. I remember that when last year it came out people used the words "flop" and "terrible" to describe it. Although I'm aware that this sequel it only has commercial purposes, I enjoyed it.


Here is the plot: Alice returns to the whimsical world of Wonderland and travels back in time to help the Mad Hatter.


What I liked most of the whole film is the idea of the story. Of course, the screenplay is not perfect. There are vague dialogues and too many explanations, but for the first time, there is an attempt of developing an original story for a famous fairy-tale. Alice is an excellent female character, a good model for rebel children.


Then, I appreciated the development of the relationship between the Mad-Hatter and Alice. Everything that Alice does for the mad-hatter makes sense. The audience really cares about these two characters.

I also found interesting the idea of using the Time as the enemy in this Alice's adventure: Alice is becoming a woman in real life and her attempts to trick the Time in Wonderland just makes her realise of who she is and of who is becoming. This is not only a film for children because it proposes a beautiful reflection about life in the adult world.

From an aesthetic point of view, the film is not original like the first episode. No Burton, no mad settings. Still, I think that the new director found a good balance between classical Disney colours and a Burtonian atmosphere.

What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment